Hawaiian Geology Learning Resources
Ōhi’a Project Curriculum Materials:
Printable resources for teachers available in English and Hawaiian produced by Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum and Moanalua Gardens Foundation in cooperation with the Hawai’i State Department of Education.
- Getting to Know a Volcano, student activity
- Hawaiian Geological Traditions, ‘Ōhi’a Project Insert, November 2001
- Hot Spot!, student activity
- Little Lō’ihi, student activity
- Maui’s Hook and Pele’s ‘Ō’ō, student activity
- Reawakened Volcanic Fires of Honolulu, ‘Ōhi’a Project Insert, September 1997
- Submarine Landslides in the Hawaiian Islands, ‘Ōhi’a Project Insert, September 1997
- The Case of the Disappearing Island, student activity
- Volcanoes on Stage, student activity
- Dunford, Betty, Lilinoe Andrews, Mikiʻala Ayau, Liana I. Honda, Julie Stewart Williams. Hawaiians of Old – Nā Kānaka Maoli O Ka Wā Kahiko. Honolulu: Bess Press, 2013.
- Kane, Herb Kawainui. Pele, Goddess of Hawaiʻi’s Volcanoes. Captain Cook: The Kawainui Press, 1987.
- “Kahua Aʻo Geology Lesson #2: The Evolution of a Hawaiian Volcano: Rejuvenation – Handouts”. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa’s Curriculum Studies Department, Kūlia i Ka Nuʻu publications, nsf kahua a‘o lessons, curriculum materials. Accessed August 2020.
- Macdonald, Gordon A. and Douglass H. Hubbard. Volcanoes of the National Parks in Hawai’i. National Park Service, 2007.
- Macdonald, Gordon A., Agatin T. Abbott, and Frank L. Peterson. Volcanoes in the Sea. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1983.
- Macdonald, Gordon A. and Will Kyselka. Anatomy of an Island – A Geological History of Oahu. Honolulu: Bishop Museum Press, 1967.
- Virtually Hawaii – Hawaiian Volcanoes poster and activity ideas, NASA and SOEST
- Ziegler, Alan C. Hawaiian Natural History, Ecology, and Evolution. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2002.
Cole, Joanna. The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1987.
Dunford, Betty, Lilinoe Andrews, Mikiʻala Ayau, Liana I. Honda, Julie Stewart Williams. Hawaiians of Old – Nā Kānaka Maoli O Ka Wā Kahiko. Honolulu: Bess Press, 2013.
Green, Dan. The Rock & Gem Book…And Other Treasures of the Natural World. New York: DK, 2016.
“Hawaii Volcanoes National Park”. Google Arts & Culture. Accessed August 2020.
Martin, Claudia. My Little Book of Rocks, Minerals, and Gems. Forest Lake: QEB Publishing, Inc., 2017.
Mouginis-Mark, Peter and Lori Glaze. “Virtual Field Trip”. Virtually Hawaii. Accessed August 2020.
Orr, Katherine, and Mauliola Cook. Discover Hawaiʻi’s Volcanoes: Birth by Fire. Waipahu: Island Heritage Publishing, 2010.
Pellant, Chris. The Complete Book of Rocks and Minerals. New York: DK, 1995.
Pierce, Terry. Volcanoes of Hawaiʻi A to Z Coloring Book. Honolulu: Bess Press, Inc., 2004.
TenBruggencate, Jan. Hawai ‘i Land of Volcanoes. Honolulu: Mutual Publishing, 1999.
Tomecek, Steve. Rocks & Minerals. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic, 2010.
Varez, Dietrich and Pua Kanakaʻole Kanahele. Pele, The Fire Goddess. Honolulu: Bishop Museum Press, 1991.